CRUSHING IT.

Big Bang, you've absolutely obliterated the Kpop tropes/boxes with a Groove SO SMOOTH it makes me all woogey inside.

I have no time to actually write this post today, but considering that my day has been made bearable, nay, enjoyable solely because of the release of this video, how could I neglect to post something (especially when I haven't posted here in so long)?

I Fucking Love This Song.


Out of all the teasers, I assumed that this would be my favorite from their new album, and they'll have to explode my brain with one of the other four songs to change that.  (Update: it's still my favorite.  By far.)

And while I put the video up there, it's more about the song for me- that underlying groove that just makes you sway your shoulders and bob your neck/chin. It's got this phenomenal jazzy mellow vibe that just puts me in an utterly pink cloud of happy. It's a song that makes me dance casually as I walk, whether there are people around or not. Which makes the video pretty goddamn apropos, right?!?  How GD starts down the sidewalk in that first scene, that's ABSOLUTELY how I react to this song (although with admittedly less swag, and hopefully more tasteful jacket choices).

This song has the same kind of sick groove that Baby Goodnight has, but amped up just enough to really make you want to move. Preferably up against someone else.  I am often awkward when it comes to sexy-partner-times-dancing, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any problem if this song was playing.  (And Hurrah!  I will have an opportunity to test this theory on March 22 - JKPop night in Seattle.) Especially if a certain person would magically appear and deign to dance with me, but I don't think they're going to read this and grant that wish, but HEY MAYBE, RIGHT?

And since I'm obviously in a sexy mood, let's all groove to Baby Goodnight for a minute before I resume my spaz about Bad Boy.  Mmm, yeah.  I'm all over GD's hair in this one.


ANYWAY.  Back to the awesome that is Bad Boy.  Let's look at this video again for a second.  They're very obviously prepping for a world-tour / introducing-themselves-to-America, complete with music videos shot in Brooklyn to prove it. (Blue was also shot in Brooklyn, and I'm curious if all their videos from this album will be from New York.)

Also, the style is WAY outside the Kpop standard (although Big Bang often is recently): very little choreographed dancing (although the way they do handle their synced dance scenes is MASTERFUL, no?), a real place for a set instead of a hyper-lit set, and most importantly, A DIFFERENT GIRL FOR EVERY MEMBER. (In the KPop world, this is completely shocking, and I have no doubt that Simon and Martina will devote a full minute and a half to this feature next Monday. Update: okay, so it was only 3 seconds...

The only Kpop specific aspect still intact, and that which may be a little difficult for American audiences to swallow, is the clothing. GD pretty much looks like a freakshow.  I'm sorry, that jacket is ridiculous. Even if it does make me want to pet him (like I didn't already). The others are all mostly passable, with only little accessories of WTF (really, did you need a life-size bedazzled skull to complete that outfit, T.O.P?), but for the most part they're not going to raise too many eyebrows.

Overall, the song is amazing, the video is beautifully choreographed (both dancing and camera-work), and they boys look like they're pretty fucking ready to blow the American pop charts.  I'm almost positive they made an English version of the video, too - there are a couple of times where GD's mouth doesn't line up with the Korean, and I assume it's because they're using shots from the English version. Get ready Amercia, Big Bang is coming (seriously, they're doing a world tour with shows in the U.S.), and you're all going to fall in love with T.O.P. And that's fine with me - because you'll think GD is a weirdo little girly boy pretending to be Lady Gaga, and that means I can keep him all to myself.  <3 <3 <3



No comments:

Post a Comment