A present, for ME?!?

It's like Korea knew just what I wanted.

Or rather, they realized the vast appeal that Amber has (f(x)) and realized that a whole fucking group of androgynous(ly dressed) girls singing Kpop would be hugely successful.

Welcome to G.I.  (Global Icon (fairly inane in term of Kpop band names).)

There were teasers, to get us all excited. (I was excited.)

Then there was this video - which I give a solid 7/10, and the song which also gets a 7/10.  Actually, the video would be more like and 8 or 9 except that I just reeeeeally wanted more of the shots of them dancing in jeans. Because those were the most androgynous looks the had on.


And I could kind of tell... purple hair back there might actually be a tomboy, and not just dressed as one. (I do think the main part of Amber's charm is that she seems to be a legit tomboy, not just a girl dressed as a dude for publicity.) I couldn't get a good feel for the other four, though. Although in terms of smexy androgyny, I obviously found their dance practice video to be much more appealing:


That video, combined with some of their promo videos let me to believe that the ones who were probably actually tomboys were Ai (green hair) and Aram (purple hair).  One Ket (awesome blonde hair) could go either way in my mind...



Eun Ji obviously not - she got to stay girly the longest with the long hair.  And Ha Yeon is making a cutey pose.  That's not a dude pose.



Mostly it's the poses/facial-expressions.  Eun Ji and Ha Yeon seem to need to look "pretty" for the camera, no matter what.  Aram is usually making some derpy "fierce" face - kind of like a dude trying too hard - I think she's a tomboy, but a louder one than Ai - maybe less tomboy and more just independent non-typical girl... I think she'd fit in well with 2NE1. 

One Ket just looks like she's trying to channel T.O.P all the time (and I'd say she's pretty successful), but there've been a couple where I thought she was trying hard enough to make sure she looked good that I doubted she was a true tomboy. 

Ai is probably my favorite. Of all of them, she strikes me as the most androgynous - because she obviously doesn't give a shit.  She either looks (sexily) apathetic or mildly derpy in all photos.  Either way, they're always poses that you could totally interchange with any male idol and it would look totally natural.  Also I think she may be the lead dancer.  I tend to fall for the lead dancers first. Not that Aram isn't hella awesome - she pretty much blew me away with this cover.

Aram + Ai

All of these were just my little opinions.  I had no real way of knowing, and they hadn't been around long enough for rumors to be all over the internets about them.
BUT THEN.
I happened to be surfing around AllKpop.com one day, which is weird because I've been avoiding that site actually, when the live debut interview with G.I. was coming on. So I watched them in all their short-haired glory, and felt that my assumptions were probably correct.  And then, GOD BLESS THEM, the question was asked, "Which of you have a natural tomboy style, and which usually like a more feminine style?"


The reply? (from Aram:) "Ai and I are kind of tomboys already (Ai nodded), and Eun Ji and Ha Yeon are definitely more girly.  One Ket can kind of go either way."

Yessssssss.  I may not have very good gaydar, but my androgydar is working Just Fine, thankyouverymuch.

(I mean, seriously, Ai - you sat through the whole interview with your legs open. Way to be, dude, way to be.)


Anyway, the girls seem to be doing well.  There song is playing well, their stage performances are fucking awesome, and there still seems to be a good buzz around them.



I'm excited to see what else they'll do.  And I'm excited to see more of Aram and Ai.  Thank god they've got some actual tomboys in the tomboy group.  It would be so sad otherwise.  But it is not - Ai you hold down the fort and keep confusing people. ^__^


No comments:

Post a Comment